While this is an excellent feature which allows you to create new labels, delete labels that you no longer need, apply colors to labels, filter by labels and even combine two labels into one, Facebook has totally missed out on a very important yet very basic functionality: renaming a label.
Until such time that Facebook realizes what they have missed out and fixes the problem by giving us a one-click rename option for the label management, here's a trick how you can rename an existing label. This trick uses the functionality of combining two labels to create an empty label and combine it with the existing label that you want to rename. Here's how it works:
- Open your Page's Messages page. Usually this is facebook.com/yourpageurl/messages
- Select a chat. On the right side, in the Labels section, click "Add & Manage".
- In the pop-up window, Type in any random name (like 123, abc, asdf, A, anything) and click Add.
- In the list, hover over the labels until you see checkboxes next to them. Click the two checkboxes for:
- The label you want to rename, and
- The label with the random name.
- At the top right corner above the list, you will see a new Combine button. Click it.
- In the text box below, type in the new name for the label you want to rename. Click the Combine button on the right side of the text box.
That's it, you have renamed the label from a old name to a new name by using the trick above, which is to combine the label with a dummy label. All the conversations with the old label will automatically move to the new label. Since the dummy label would have no conversations attached to it, nothing else is affected.
Of course, the above trick is only needed and useful until such time that Facebook finally implements "Rename" functionality directly in the existing labels. Let me know when that happens!