Skip to main content

Great! Now I have no HDD!

Yepp! I'm blogging this on my laptop which does not have an HDD!! (HDD = Hard Disk Drive) My hard disk crashed completely for no reason yesterday, and it's been only an year old. Guys, don't make the mistake I made: Don't buy a DELL laptop. I think you shouldn't buy a laptop even, unless you really need one. Stick to the desktop.

Well, if I have no hard disk, how am I able to access the Internet? How am I able to use the computer? I have a GamesKnoppix Linux live CD. A live CD lets you run the OS directly from the CD-ROM. I can't save my preferences, I can't download any programs, even for Linux, coz I have no place to save it. (I can download but I don't know how to install and stuff in Linux, and I can't save permanently as I said before). Well, atleast I can browse the Internet (with Mozilla Firefox 1.0 :( ) and log in to Yahoo & MSN (other popular clients also) using Gaim Instant Messenger. And if it is boring, GamesKnoppix have got a lot of (boring) games to waste time playing. Thats what the live CD is for!

Welp, anyway, that's all for now. I'm not planning to get a new HDD, coz my dad still does not know about it, and it will be an explosion when he finds out! (coz he payed a fortune for the laptop, and now it is falling apart a few months after the warranty expired) Thank God, and thanks to Digit computer magazine for the Linux-on-CD, coz I don't really need a hard disk to get in to the Internet!

PS: The Britannica will lie there useless till I get a new hard disk / computer. :((

Comments

  1. I have a
    cheap sql hosting site/blog. It pretty much covers this post related stuff.
    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, and are usually posted within 24 hours if approved. You must have a minimum of OpenID to post comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Disable auto save in JetBrains IDE software (IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, PhpStorm)

JetBrains provides the following IDE software:
IntelliJ IDEAPhpStormPyCharmRubyMineWebStormAppCodeCLion Google also provides Android Studio which is powered by the IntelliJ platform.

If you come from a different IDE such as Eclipse, you will be unpleasantly surprised to find that JetBrains-branded IDEs automatically save everything the moment you look away. The proponents argue that as you work on your project, you should not have to worry about saving files. But to others, this auto-save behavior which is enabled by default is a curse that catches them by surprise, and a shocking departure from the workflow they are very much used to.

You can change the behavior by altering some settings.

Stop having to click Unblock on every downloaded file

CAUTION: The blocking of downloaded files in Windows is a security and safety feature to help prevent your computer from being infected by viruses and other malware. Only disable this feature if you know what you're doing.

I had been plagued by this annoyance since the days of Windows Vista. Any downloaded file, no matter what browser I use, gets tagged as "blocked" by Windows. You can open downloaded documents even though they are blocked, but when you run a downloaded application (such as a setup file) you're presented with a "Security Warning" before you're allowed to run it. It's worse if you extract a downloaded ZIP file with the Windows' built-in ZIP management. Every extracted file is blocked by default.

Being a geek who finds unnecessary "security" prompts annoying, the first thing I do in Windows is to disable the User Account Control (UAC). But I couldn't quite figure out how to disable blocking of downloaded files until …

Install Windows 10 Tech Preview when setup says media driver missing

Skip to the end for instructions.
I had been trying to install Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview onto a VHD, as I have Windows 7 Ultimate and can run an operating system from VHD (this feature is apparently limited to Enterprise and Ultimate editions).

While I had successfully managed to install it on a virtual machine in Oracle VirtualBox, I was dissatisfied with the sluggish performance of a VM. At the same time, I also did not want to dedicate a real hard disk partition for the sole purpose of installing Windows 10 TP.

Hence the decision to install into a VHD, which is a very neat solution that lets me keep Windows 10 TP separate from my real hard disk partitions and still enjoy the full native speeds of my real hardware. I had previously installed Windows 8 RC successfully into a VHD so I knew what I was up against.

Or so I thought. As soon as I booted up the setup disk (the ISO I had downloaded) and clicked on Install Now, I received this very unhelpful error asking for device dri…