Skip to main content

Messing with the UAC - the Admin Approval Mode

Initially when I got Vista, I disabled UAC completely in my account and turned off Security Center alerts. However, my friend suggested that he can keep the UAC enabled, yet not get the annoying prompts. He did this by enabling the built-in Administrator account and using it.

So I thought of fiddling with the hidden settings of UAC to find out if I can re-enable UAC yet get rid of those prompts in my account with administrator privileges. This is my own account, not the built-in Administrator account.

The hidden settings can be accessed by typing in secpol.msc in the Start menu, Run dialog or a command prompt. They are under Local Policies > Security Options. All the settings concerning UAC start with the words "User Account Control." Note: secpol.msc may not be available in Home Premium or lower.

After fiddling around, I found out that what my friend thought he is doing, is actually wrong. One of the settings here is "Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account." This setting is Disabled by default, and that means no prompts what-so-ever will be displayed in the built-in Administrator account.

However, the very feature of displaying consent prompts is named by Microsoft as "Admin Approval Mode." Therefore, turning this off is exactly the same as turning UAC off via Control Panel. If you change the above mentioned setting to Enabled, even the built-in Administrator will start to display UAC prompts, just like other accounts.

There is another setting to about the Admin Approval Mode, namely "Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode." This setting is Enabled by default. Now, disabling this will cause the prompts to be no longer displayed in any account. But it also means that UAC is completely turned off. I had UAC turned on prior to changing this setting, and after I changed it, UAC was found to be turned off.

In fact, turning off UAC in Control Panel actually toggles the above mentioned setting.

The only true way to keep UAC turned on, but get rid of the prompts is by utilizing the setting called "Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode." The default choice is Prompt for consent, but you can change this to Elevate without prompting. It means the UAC prompts are still there, but Windows automatically clicks the Continue button for you. (This is just a description to make it easy to understand. You won't see Windows actually doing it on screen. You won't even see the prompt or the Secure Desktop.)

For the above mentioned setting to work for the built-in Administrator account, the first setting mentioned in this post must be enabled. Otherwise UAC will just be disabled in that account. Also, Security Center will continue to show that UAC is off, even though it appears turned on in Control Panel.

Although I did not get any more UAC prompts despite the fact that UAC is still turned on, I ran into other problems with software that I regularly use. Most notably, enabling UAC caused the programs to run underprivileged, and certain programs generated "Access Denied" errors when trying to access files in drives other that C drive. The problem did not occur when I ran the programs as Administrator.

Due to these problems, I reversed all my changes and went back to keeping the UAC turned off. Bottom line, if you know what you are doing with your computer and won't do anything silly to get it infected, an annoying security feature is really unnecessary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disable auto save in JetBrains IDE software (IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, PhpStorm)

JetBrains provides the following IDE software: IntelliJ IDEA PhpStorm PyCharm RubyMine WebStorm AppCode CLion Google also provides Android Studio which is powered by the IntelliJ platform. If you come from a different IDE such as Eclipse, you will be unpleasantly surprised to find that JetBrains-branded IDEs automatically save everything the moment you look away. The proponents argue that as you work on your project, you should not have to worry about saving files. But to others, this auto-save behavior which is enabled by default is a curse that catches them by surprise, and a shocking departure from the workflow they are very much used to. You can change the behavior by altering some settings.

Make Samsung DVD-C350 region-free

Update 2: An anonymous commentator has shown me a way to make Region 1 players (such as DVD-H1080R) region-free by first converting it to Region 3, then applying my region-free hack below. For details, click here or look for a comment by an Anonymous user dated 18 April 2011. Update: The instructions in the original post below did not make the DVD player region-free. Instead it only locked it to region 1. Many thanks to Anonymous who posted the first comment on this post, I now have alternate instructions. Note: If you have edited the numbers menu (see original post) , I suggest you return it to the original settings you had backed up. A modified numbers menu may prevent the instructions below from working properly.

Group, Ungroup and Regroup disabled in Word

I was editing a Microsoft Word document which had a collection of shapes and text boxes grouped together. I wanted to modify some of the shapes, and therefore I had to ungroup them. But when I right-click the group and open the Group menu, all three options namely Group, Ungroup and Regroup are completely disabled or grayed out. I couldn’t figure out what’s wrong. This group of objects is perfectly ungroupable, and I can even select objects within the group. However, Microsoft Word 2007 is not letting me ungroup it. I searched the Internet for a solution, but did not find anything very useful. The closest I came across is this statement: “The type of Text Wrapping doesn't make any difference as long as it isn't In Line with Text.” ( Link here ) Anyway, I changed the text wrapping of the group of objects from ‘In line with Text’ to ‘Tight’ and viola! I could now ungroup it and edit it. The document got a bit messed up when I did so, but after I ungrouped, edited and regro