If you tried to stop following blogs using the gear icon next to the Reading list in your Blogger home page, you will now get this error: We are unable to load your FriendConnect data at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again shortly.
There is no need to try again shortly, because FriendConnect was partially shut down in 2011 and this broke its integration with the Reading List feature of Blogger. Fortunately, there is another way to clean up your reading list and remove those antique blogs you no longer care about:
- Go to Google Friend Connect http://www.google.com/friendconnect/user/overview
- Click on one of the Settings links next to the blogs.
- A pop-up will appear. If it asks to sign-in, sign in with your Google account.
- If you had to sign in, the pop-up will close. Click on the Settings link again to re-open the pop-up.
- On the left side, click on "Sites I've joined". This will show the list of sites on left, with "stop following" links.
- Click on the "stop following" links one by one for each blog you want to stop following, BUT be sure to click this link for the pop-up's blog (matching the big title at the top of the pop-up) as the LAST one, because the pop-up will close as soon as you stop following the same blog the pop-up is for.
- For each time you click "stop following" link, a pop-up will appear asking if you are sure. Click the "Stop following" button in the pop-up.
- Refresh the Google friend connect page and see that the list is to your taste. If there are more blogs to unfollow, repeat the above process as required.