Skip to main content

WhatsApp Web is on Firefox... still nothing for iOS

WhatsApp Web has expanded to Mozilla Firefox, and possibly other browsers too. iPhone and iPad users are still out of luck, as Apple's technical restrictions made it difficult for the Web client to work with iOS version of WhatsApp.

When WhatsApp Web was launched, it was only available for Google Chrome. WhatsApp Web took advantage of Chrome's push notification system, citing it as ideal for the product (ref). However, it is now available on Firefox as well, a browser that still remains popular among many, despite all the recent flak it received.

Many Chrome users had switched back to their old favorite Firefox after Chrome unveiled a new "security update" that essentially destroyed their ability to have custom add-ons - Chrome was now locked to work only with add-ons approved on the Chrome Web Store. A lot of such users will be happy to finally get rid of Chrome altogether, if they had still been running Chrome to use WhatsApp Web.

That being said, I found that WhatsApp Web is quite sluggish on Firefox for Windows, and the animations are very choppy. The scrollbars are the same ugly ones we see everywhere on Windows, and they look out of place. In Chrome, WhatsApp Web runs smoothly, all the animations are slick, and the scrollbars are nice, simple and matching.

Moreover, Chrome has a nice feature called "application shortcuts" which lets me run WhatsApp Web as though it's a desktop app I installed on my computer. Firefox doesn't have a similar feature, and it seems add-ons that were supposed to add the feature are outdated not in active development anymore. (Unfortunately, Chrome for Mac OS X does not have "application shortcuts" native, but fortunately it can be achieved with third-party add-ons.)

So for now, while my main browser is to remain Firefox (I too deserted Chrome after their security lockdown), I will continue to use Chrome for WhatsApp Web. What about you?

PS: There are some negative comments about WhatsApp, telling that it's better to switch to competitor X or Y. The problem with this suggestion is that, while easy to say, it's hard to do. When all of your friends are on WhatsApp, you will find that you cannot switch to another chat client expect everyone to follow. I find that even though I have accounts on many chat clients -- like Telegram, WeChat, Hangouts and even Facebook Messenger -- ultimately I only use WhatsApp on a daily basis (to be honest, I like Telegram better).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disable auto save in JetBrains IDE software (IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, PhpStorm)

JetBrains provides the following IDE software: IntelliJ IDEA PhpStorm PyCharm RubyMine WebStorm AppCode CLion Google also provides Android Studio which is powered by the IntelliJ platform. If you come from a different IDE such as Eclipse, you will be unpleasantly surprised to find that JetBrains-branded IDEs automatically save everything the moment you look away. The proponents argue that as you work on your project, you should not have to worry about saving files. But to others, this auto-save behavior which is enabled by default is a curse that catches them by surprise, and a shocking departure from the workflow they are very much used to. You can change the behavior by altering some settings.

Make Samsung DVD-C350 region-free

Update 2: An anonymous commentator has shown me a way to make Region 1 players (such as DVD-H1080R) region-free by first converting it to Region 3, then applying my region-free hack below. For details, click here or look for a comment by an Anonymous user dated 18 April 2011. Update: The instructions in the original post below did not make the DVD player region-free. Instead it only locked it to region 1. Many thanks to Anonymous who posted the first comment on this post, I now have alternate instructions. Note: If you have edited the numbers menu (see original post) , I suggest you return it to the original settings you had backed up. A modified numbers menu may prevent the instructions below from working properly.

Group, Ungroup and Regroup disabled in Word

I was editing a Microsoft Word document which had a collection of shapes and text boxes grouped together. I wanted to modify some of the shapes, and therefore I had to ungroup them. But when I right-click the group and open the Group menu, all three options namely Group, Ungroup and Regroup are completely disabled or grayed out. I couldn’t figure out what’s wrong. This group of objects is perfectly ungroupable, and I can even select objects within the group. However, Microsoft Word 2007 is not letting me ungroup it. I searched the Internet for a solution, but did not find anything very useful. The closest I came across is this statement: “The type of Text Wrapping doesn't make any difference as long as it isn't In Line with Text.” ( Link here ) Anyway, I changed the text wrapping of the group of objects from ‘In line with Text’ to ‘Tight’ and viola! I could now ungroup it and edit it. The document got a bit messed up when I did so, but after I ungrouped, edited and regro